Jason S. Fuiman
Jason S. Fuiman is a Partner in the Firm’s Labor and Employee Benefits practice.
Jason joined O’Dwyer & Bernstien in 2000 as a Law Clerk. In 2002, he became an Associate Attorney, and in 2011 he became a Partner. He specializes in all aspects of Labor and Employee Benefits Law.
Jason advises the Boards of Trustees of numerous employer pension, welfare, annuity and 401(k) plans ranging from $2 million to $10 billion in total assets on all matters relating to their fiduciary responsibility, including compliance with ERISA, the Internal Revenue Code, DOL and HHS guidelines and applicable regulations. He specializes in matters relating to the Pension Protection Act of 2008 and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Jason also serves as lead counsel on various employee benefit plan litigation matters involving matters relating to collections, benefit denials, fiduciary duty and plan design. He has practiced before numerous district and circuit courts relating to these matters.
He also advises union executive boards, business agents, organizers and staff on issues relating to organizing, unfair labor practices, collective bargaining agreement interpretation, government investigations, NLRA, LMRA, DOL guidelines and applicable regulations
Jason has extensive experience in the selection of plan service providers, from the initiation of the RFP process through the negotiation of provider contracts. He also acted as counsel on the creation of the first Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan by an international union.
While attending George Washington University in Washington, D.C., Jason was a contributor to the Public Contracts Law Journal and a member of the Entertainment and Sports Law Association. Before attending law school, he worked as a Legislative Correspondent for Congresswoman Nydia M. Velazquez of New York, and as a Staff Assistant for the U.S. House of Representatives Small Business Committee.
Jason is a member of the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Employee Benefits/ERISA
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- New York
- District of Columbia
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- George Washington University Law School, Washington, District of Columbia
- Juris Doctor
- Law Journal: Public Contracts Law Journal, Contributor
- George Washington University
- Bachelor of Science
- Contributing Editor, American Bar Association Employee Benefits Law Manual, 2013
- Contributing Editor, American Bar Association Employee Benefits Law Manual, 2014
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers 2013 Metro Rising Star – Employee Benefits
Past Employment Positions
- Congresswoman Nydia M. Velazquez of New York, Legislative Correspondent
- U.S. House of Representatives Small Business Committee, Staff Assistant
Pro Bono Activities
- Legal Counsel – Make the Road New York, July 1, 2013 – Present
- General Counsel – Kappa Sigma Fraternity, August 1, 2012 – Present